If you are interested in serving St. John’s as a vestry member, or know a member who is committed to the well-being of our church and would be interested in this ministry, serving by attending meetings, participating in parish events, providing leadership to ministries or programs, and continuing to pledge to the parish’s work, please let us know!
Canonical Requirements for Vestry Service
- Adult confirmed communicant of the parish
- At least 18 years old
- Has made a current year pledge to the parish
- Regular worshipper for at least 12 months
- Has not served on vestry for the two-year period preceding the election (rotated off December 31, 2016)
- Not an immediate family member of a paid member of parish staff
Canonical Duties of the Vestry
- Issue calls to the rectorship of the parish and fix the rector’s
- Cooperate with the rector for the spiritual welfare of the parish
- Participate in the life of the parish, including regular Sunday worship
- Manage the financial affairs and care and maintenance of the property of the parish
- Provide for the furniture, books, vestments and all things necessary for worship
- Attend all vestry meetings*
- Periodically review the rector’s relationship to the parish
*Monthly meetings occur typically on the third Monday from 6-8 p.m.
*Members also reach out to the parish by making annual “comfort calls” and conducting stewardship calls (pledge reminders).
We invite you to submit your own name or those of others to the
Thank you for your recommendations!
Please contact Kristin Breakell:
Cell: 540-520-6193 (call or text)
Feel free to speak with John Levin, Noelle Milam, Sarah Boxley Beck and/or Christie Wills, who are also part of the nominating committee!